New Delhi: The Centre on Tuesday stated that it has positioned orders for 44 crore doses of Covishield and Covaxin, a day after Prime Minister Narendra Modi introduced that the Centre would take over the state procurement quota and present free jabs to state governments for inoculation of all above the age of 18.
These 44 crore doses of COVID-19 vaccines will probably be delivered by their makers between August and December 2021, the Union Health Ministry stated.
“In rapid follow-up of the prime minister’s announcement of these modifications within the Guidelines of National COVID Vaccination programme yesterday, the Centre has positioned an order with Serum Institute of India for 25 crore doses of Covishield and with Bharat Biotech for 19 crore doses of Covaxin,’’ Dr VK Paul, Member-Health, Niti Aayog, stated.
Govt has positioned an order to buy 25 crores doses of Covishield and 19 crore doses of Covaxin. Govt has additionally positioned an order to buy 30 crore doses of Biological E’s vaccine, which will probably be obtainable by September: Dr VK Paul, Member-Health, Niti Aayog pic.twitter.com/7fIV871lBO
— ANI (@ANI) June 8, 2021
“Additionally, 30 per cent of the advance for procurement of both the COVID-19 vaccines has been released to Serum Institute of India and Bharat Biotech,” Dr Paul stated.
He stated the Centre has been supporting the efforts of states and union territories for an efficient vaccination drive underneath the “whole of government approach” since January 16 this yr.
Based on varied representations obtained by the Centre, the vaccination for all adults above 18 years of age was opened within the Phase III of vaccination technique starting May 1.
“Now with the aim to further universalise the countrywide vaccination drive, all citizens above 18 years of age can receive the COVID-19 vaccine doses free of cost at government health facilities,” Paul stated.
The central authorities will present free coronavirus vaccines to states and union territories for inoculation of all above 18 years of age from June 21, Prime Minister Narendra Modi stated on Monday, asserting that the Centre will take over the 25 per cent state procurement quota.
Asserting that vaccine provide can be elevated considerably within the coming days, the prime minister stated the Centre has now determined to purchase 75 per cent of jabs from vaccine makers for free provide to states, whereas personal sector hospitals will proceed to acquire the remaining 25 per cent.